Since the 1980s, the divisions of the Seventh-day Adventist church with European territories (TED, EUD, ESD) have encouraged the theology lecturers and their respective colleagues to meet regularly. Every two years meetings are held under the title European Theology Teachers Convention. Participants have highly valued and appreciated these meetings.
The latest meeting, held at Newbold College from 25 to 30 March 2015, brought together 61 teachers from 15 different institutions. The participants asked unanimously not only to continue these meetings but also to integrate them into a structure that would strengthen the relationship and cooperation between the participants. Thus, the wish was expressed to create a European Adventist Society of Religious Studies (EASRS).
Dr Reinder Bruinsma, Dr Richard Lehmann and Dr Jean-Claude Verrecchia were nominated to form a working group. They will guide the society until it can be officially formed at the ETTC meeting in 2017, which will be held in Friedensau.
Aims & Objectives
The aims and objectives of the Society are as follows:
1. To promote sound biblical scholarship and encourage research;
2. To facilitate the publication of academic theological literature;
3. To interact with Bible scholars and theologians beyond the Seventh-day Adventist
4. To foster dialogue among Adventist theologians in Europe and beyond;
5. To facilitate exchanges between the different Adventist institutions in Europe;
6. To maintain a directory of Adventist scholars in religious studies in Europe;
7. To circulate information concerning publications of its members, research projects;
8. To publish information in a regular newsletter; and
9. To organise the biennial convention (ETTC).